Toxin , Material

Give and ask help for choosing products
Larketh
regular user

Toxin , Material

Post by Larketh » 2015 Aug 16, 20:14

For reviewers and makers,

I would like to know what materials the sex toys are constructed with. Potential customers want to know for reasons such as health, safety, feeling, durability. Simply writing that your product has those attributes without providing information which allows them to infer those qualities would be unconvincing. Tell whether they use harmful preservatives, such as parabens. Tell whether they use perfumes/aromas. If so, provide the necessary information about them. I'm going to pick items where I am provided better information about materials.

I'm sure there are other concerned customers as well.
A Green Peace sponsored study on sex toys
showed 7 of 8 tested toys had high amounts of pthalates, up to half the mass of the toy. We want to know whether we stick our reproductive organs in something teratogenic or which disrupts hormones.

Makers, if you want to inspire as much confidence as possible, get it approved as a medical device by state agencies. Your device would then have another unique marketing feature, since none of the competition has done this.

Also, please include information about at what temperature, the materials start to degrade and if thermoplastic, at what temperature it melts. One reason, is because we wish to heat the toys. If it can handle the temperature of boiling water at the altitude of Death Valley, then most of us won't need more detail than that -- though some people like to do modifications or repairs and then wish to use more heat than that.

AkaiHebi
admin
admin

Re: Toxin , Material

Post by AkaiHebi » 2015 Aug 16, 21:56

Yes this is an important issue. I summed up some guidelines in that page :) https://blog.onahole.eu/about#safety

My personal experience makes me able to differentiate between thermoplastic-elastomer onaholes (all products of the main onahole makers are in TPE nowadays) and jelly-type products that potentially contain nasty stuff. While I didn't suffer any immediate medical issue with the onahole material since 2011, sextoy bloggers often warn of products for internal use (jelly-type or any porous) with numerous cases of chemical burns.

Yet: the exact composition of sextoy materials remains industrial secret, and they have no willingness to pay for independent lab testing. Shoutout to Dildology, but the consumers shouldn't have to pay themselves to get the products tested. Either the industry makes it with really independent labs, or else institutions (EU commission, FDA,..) do it and get funded with product taxes. Either case, it costs way less than indemnifying customers after class actions.

In the case of onaholes, it relies heavily on self-regulation but I seem to see since the market expands internationally, they do more efforts. Just imagine the scandal if on CNN newsflash there was something like "twenty year old man intoxicated by Japanese product", in a matter of days Japanese police raids the company and even ministry of health would be forced to make excuses on TV for the trouble caused to the foreigners. The company chairmen resign right away. Different mentality.
Also, unofficially, I keep an eye on specific IPs from Japan and see that some shops never miss our posts on the blog, I'm pretty sure behind the curtains they report back to makers since often we review products that are sill being negotiated with foreign shops ^^ I'm also aware ToysHeart and Magic Eyes themselves check the new posts when it's about one of their products.

About ToysHeart, AFAIK they are the only ones who communicate much about material safety: http://www.toysheart.com/product-info/material/
RENDS also did an important step by having it's "Daisy" material tested and certified by TÜV. Trustworthy. http://www.certipedia.com/quality_marks ... ?locale=en
Tenga got very intensive testing and is deemed safe enough to even be recommended in some hospitals for erectile dysfunctions

Most of the time, onaholes contain mineral oil to give it it's elasticity. It's all about how well it's dosed, and if it stays inside or leaks out too much. You have a very good comparison between "soft" and "hard" in the Fuwa Cyun review: https://blog.onahole.eu/reviews/onaholes/fuwa-cyun-w

Magic Eyes is known for boasting quite a bit about their material containing silver ions (antibacterial), it's a very common compound in cosmetics BUT there can be medical issues too ! Same basically goes for all antifungus or antibacterial that is being used, on long term it can accumulate and lead to health issues, while probably much milder than the dangerous stuff you find in food like palm oil, cyanides, pesticide and fertilizer remainings.

With the makers providing accurate and complete information about safety, health certifications etc, it's then a responsibility of the shops to translate such information and provide it in understandable means for each product page. Based on that, bloggers and other internet users can spread the info.

Lastly, let's remind that everything is a poison, it's just a matter of dose ;)

Larketh
regular user

Re: Toxin , Material

Post by Larketh » 2015 Aug 17, 09:24

Thank you for the valuable information.
AkaiHebi wrote:Lastly, let's remind that everything is a poison, it's just a matter of dose
Not exactly true, though you can say that if a toxin in small quantity does such a small amount of damage that it is unlikely to be significant in your life, then it is practically safe. Chemicals which do direct damage to DNA, such as acrylamide, are one such type of poison.

Larketh
regular user

Re: Toxin , Material at the Kinsey Institute

Post by Larketh » 2015 Aug 18, 22:17

Information from a good source. The
Kinsey Institute.

In the USA, the FDA only inspects an item if it is applied to be approved as a medical device.
Complaints can lead to inspection by the Consumer Products Safety Commission which then attempts to negotiate a recall of the item.